Subdivisions or developments
Book a face-to-face meeting
We understand electricity connections can be complex. We've set aside times where you can make an appointment to meet us and discuss your subdivision or development connection
Frequently asked questions
Types of developments
Typically, developers undertake the following types of developments:
- Traditional residential, rural, commercial subdivisions
- Multi-tenancy developments such as apartments or shopping complexes
- Industrial and commercial parks
- Closed gate or private subdivisions
- Village type residential developments such as retirement villages
What does the developer pay for?
A developer's responsible for 100% of the cost of providing the infrastructure for their development. This includes, but is not limited to, costs associated with:
- The electrical reticulation inside the development
- Connection works to connect the development to the network
- Upstream augmentation of the existing distribution system to provide capacity to supply the development
- All civil works undertaken by us relevant to, but external to the development
- The evaluation and acceptance of assets not designed and constructed by us
Can someone else (other than TasNetworks) design or construct new electrical assets?
Customer Choice for design and construction is offered to negotiated connection customers as of January 2016 for underground subdivisions.
Customer Choice means as a developer, you can engage an accredited electrical designer and/or an accredited electrical constructor for the design and construction of new assets beyond the existing boundaries of the shared network. This is inclusive of low voltage, high voltage, public lighting and transformation assets. We can still be engaged to undertake this work.
It doesn't include:
- Basic connections
- Augmentation of the network to support the connection
- Any work that involves our assets
- Any work that requires a planned outage
- Evaluation and acceptance of the connection design
- Evaluation and acceptance of the construction
- The final connection to our infrastructure
- Design of commercial and industrial underground subdivisions
Our developer's toolkit below outlines in more detail the processes and requirements for exercising Customer Choice in the design and construction of your new underground residential development and construction of your commercial and industrial underground subdivision.
We have policies, guidelines, standards, specifications, forms and manuals to assist developers with the design and construction of a new development